Zoning Certificates are required whenever a new building is built or there is a change in an existing building which involves a new roof or foundation. This would include business structures, single family homes, additions, decks, garages, farm buildings, etc.  To obtain a Zoning Certificate, you need:

  1. Proper Zoning
  2. Ownership of the lot and accurate legal description
  3. A Site Plan, with setbacks and building dimensions
  4. Perc Test (Single Family Homes & Businesses only)

Bring this information into the Planning and Zoning office. We will check to see if you have proper zoning for your structure. If it is not properly zoned, you may need to apply to have the property rezoned (see Rezoning) or obtain a Special Use Permit (see Special Use Permit). If it is zoned properly, the setbacks will be checked. If you don’t meet the setback requirements, you will need to apply for a Variance (see Variance section).

All property owners must sign the Zoning Certificate and agree to comply with the Zoning Ordinance regarding setbacks and use of the property. If everything is ready before you request the Zoning Certificate, you can obtain your permit the same day you request it.

Application Fee: Varies

If everything is in compliance with the Zoning Ordinance, a Zoning Certificate will be issued. Homes and businesses will need an address. To apply for an address, you must have been issued a Zoning Certificate for your structure and have a drivable road to the structure. The driveway must be approved by the County Engineer if along a County Road or by the Iowa D.O.T. if along a State Highway.

There is a $100 charge for the address sign.

Perc Test
If you are building a new home or business, you will be required to have on file a positive Perc Test for a septic system completed before a Zoning Certificate will be issued. If your soil type does not support a conventional septic system, you will then have the option to install a sand filter septic system. You will need to see the Health Department for a septic permit for either system.

Permit Fee: $150

Well Permit
The Health Department will need to approve your location and issue a well permit before any drilling of a new well may take place.

Permit Fee: $150

Driveway Permit
You will also need to see the Engineer’s Office for a driveway permit if you are changing or putting in a new access onto a county road.

No fee required.