|The Dubuque County Commission of Veterans Affairs currently offers two comprehensive programs for military veterans:
IMPORTANT NOTE: We urge you to please contact the Veterans Affairs Office regarding the filing of all forms. The processing of forms can be a lengthy process. Improperly filed forms may be rejected thus putting you through the waiting process twice. Let us help you get it right the first time. That’s why we are here.
Veteran Relief Programs
The Dubuque County Veterans Relief Program is funded by the County to provide assistance to resident veterans with emergency basic needs. These basic needs include:
- Special Needs
The be eligible for this program you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a veteran with an honorable discharge.
- Be a resident of Dubuque County
- Meet certain income guidelines
- Apply for any and all benefits
- Register for work (unless disabled) and participate in promise jobs and JTPA.
- Have emergency basic needs that cannot be met by other means.
Veterans Services Programs
The Dubuque County Veterans Service Program provides assistance to all veterans and their dependents, in applying for federal benefits and other related matters, concerning the federal government. These include:
- Application assistance for:
- Compensation for Service-connected Disability
- Non-service Connected Disability Pension
- DIC Benefits
- Certificates of Eligibility for home loans
- Aid and attendance for nursing home and housebound veterans
- Appeals of unfavorable VA Rulings
- Applications for Iowa Veterans Home
- Obtaining military records and awards
- Distributing grave markers and flag holders from Dubuque County
- Networking to Veterans Hospitals
- Networking to other Department of Veterans Affairs facilities and agencies.