There are a number of scams that target veterans.

Veterans will receive a call from someone claiming to be the VA and they want to help refinance your VA home loan.
This is a scam.
They will ask you for personal information such as your birth date, social security number, and bank account name etc.

The VA will occasionally call a veteran for a number of issues, health, claims, etc.
They do not ask for your SSN, account numbers, or date of birth.
The VA already has all of that information if you access the VA for healthcare or have a claim for benefits with the VA. The only time the VA asks for any information is if the veteran calls the VA, and then the information is used to verify that they are indeed talking to the veteran.

We have received information on a new scam from the National Association of County Veterans Service Officers:
A company has acquired two toll free numbers similar to the numbers for the VA call centers. They are trying to get callers to sign up to receive a Walmart gift card and will ask for personal information, including credit card information.
The correct VA numbers are: 1-800-827-1000 for the VA answering center, and 1-888-442-4551 for the GI-Bill.
The numbers being used by the company are 1-800-872-1000, and 1-888-442-4511.
These are not VA numbers.
The VA is not giving out free Gift Cards.



VA Choice Cards

The VA Choice Cards have caused some confusion for veterans and their families.
This card is for care outside the VA Health Care and is limited on who can use it and how one qualifies.
Before any use please contact the Iowa City VA.


Property Tax Exemption for 100% Disabled Service Connected/Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
Suspense Date: 01JULY2015

The newly revised Application for Disabled Veteran’s Homestead Tax Credit (Iowa Department of Revenue Form 54-049a (06/12/14) is available for completion and submission to local county assessor’s offices by qualified disabled veterans and DIC. Please contact the Dubuque County Assessor’s office or the City of Dubuque Assessor at the Dubuque County Courthouse.
If you are IU (Individual Unemployable) stay tuned as there is a code change that should include those being paid at the 100% rate.
For assistance in getting the qualifying documents from the VA contact Dubuque County Veterans Affairs.

New VA Health ID


The new Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) provides:

  • Increased security for your personal information – no personally identifiable information is contained on the magnetic stripe or barcode.
  • A salute to your military service – The emblem of your latest branch of service is displayed on your card. Several special awards will also be listed.

The VHIC will be issued only to Veterans who are enrolled in the VA health care system.

Purpose of the VHIC

The VHIC is for identification and check-in at VA appointments. It cannot be used as a credit card or an insurance card, and it does not authorize or pay for care at non-VA facilities.

Getting the New Card is Easy!

VA will automatically mail a VHIC to enrolled Veterans, who were issued the VIC. Mailing will begin soon.

Because we will be reissuing 4 million cards, we ask for your patience during this time.

Veterans who have the old Veteran Identification Card (VIC) will automatically have the VHIC mailed to them.

Enrolled Veterans who do not have the VIC (the old identification card), may contact their local VA medical center Enrollment Coordinator to arrange to have their picture taken for the new VHIC, or they may request a new VHIC at their next VA health care appointment.  To ensure their identity, Veterans must provide either one primary and two secondary documents. Please see the Acceptable Documents for Identity Proofing table below.

Important!!  Veterans who are already enrolled should ensure the address we have on file is correct so you can receive your VHIC in a timely manner. To update or to confirm your address with us, please call 1-877-222-VETS (8387).  If the post office cannot deliver your VHIC, the card will be returned to the VA.

What to do if you are NOT enrolled

If you are not currently enrolled with the VA for your health care, we encourage you to apply for enrollment online at or by calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387).

You may also apply for enrollment in person at your local VA medical facility. Once your enrollment is verified, your picture will be taken at your local VA medical center so that ,once production begins, a VHIC will be mailed to you.

To ensure your identity, you must provide either one primary or two secondary documents. See the Acceptable Documents for Identity Proofing table below. 

What to do if you do not receive your new VHIC, once production has begun

You should receive your VHIC within 7 to 10 after you apply for enrollment. Although we strive to do all we can to ensure we enroll Veterans in a timely manner, sometimes we are unable to either verify your military service or we need additional information from you.  If so, we will make attempts to contact you to get the information we need to complete your enrollment application. In case we are unable to reach you to get the information we need, we encourage you to contact the local VA facility where the card was requested, or contact us at 1-877-222-VETS (8387) to complete your application and find out the status of your card.

What to do with your old VIC

VA wants all enrolled Veterans to have a Veteran Health Identification Card that protects their personal information.  Until Veterans receive the new, more secure VHIC, Veterans are encouraged to safeguard their old VIC, just like they would a credit card, to prevent unauthorized access to their identity information.  Once the new VHIC is received, Veterans should destroy their old VIC by cutting it up or shredding it.

What to do if you’re VHIC is lost or stolen

If your VHIC is lost or stolen, you should contact the VA Medical Facility where your picture was taken to request a new card be re-issued, or call us at 1-877-222-VETS (8387). Identifying information will be asked to ensure proper identification of the caller.

Acceptable Documents for Identity Proofing

Primary Identification Secondary Identification
State-Issued Drivers License Social Security Card
State Department of Motor Vehicles Certified Birth Certificate
State Department of Motor Vehicles-issued ID Card State Voter Registration Card
United States (U.S.) Passport Native American Tribal Document
Military ID Card Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560 or N-561)
Military Dependent’s Card Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570)
U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card Certification of Birth Abroad Issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
Foreign Passport with appropriate stamps Permanent or Temporary resident card
Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Card with a Photograph (Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) Form I-151) ID Card issued by local government agencies (i.e., city government employee, fire department, water department, etc.) provided it includes a photograph or includes the following information: name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
ID Card issued by Federal state government agencies provided it includes a photograph Non-photo ID card issued by Federal or state government agencies provided it includes the following information: name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
School ID with photograph
Canadian Drivers License
US Citizen ID Card (Form I-179)


Acceptable Documents to Verify your Address

If the primary or secondary forms of ID do not contain your address, you may present one of the following documents. Note, however, that your name must be the addressee on the document and the document must be postmarked or dated within the last 30 days:

Acceptable Document to Verify a Veteran’s Address
  1. Phone bill from a local phone service provider
  2. Electric bill from a local electrical service provider
  3. Fossil fuel (oil, gas, propane) bill from a local service provider
  4. Credit card statement
  5. Checking or savings account statement
  6. Local personal property tax bill
  7. Mortgage or rent payment voucher
  8. Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) document or letter reflecting the correct mailing address.