November 6, 2018 General Election
Important dates and deadlines
- July 9: First day to request mailed absentee ballots, 120 days before election. (Change in state law: previous law did not specify a first day.)
- July 30 – August 17: Federal and State candidate filing period. File with Iowa Secretary of State.
- August 6 – August 29: County candidate filing period. File with auditor’s office. Papers must be filed in the Auditor’s office by 5:00 p.m. on the 29th.
- Saturday, September 22: Military and overseas ballots must be mailed by this date, 45 days before election.
- Monday, October 8: First day for in-person early voting at auditor’s office and Election Annex.
- Saturday, October 27: Voter pre-registration deadline, 5 p.m. Voters may still register after this date using election day registration procedure (ID and proof of address required).
- Saturday, October 27: Deadline to request mailed absentee ballot, same as pre-registration deadline. Requests must be in our office by 5 p.m. (Change in state law: previously was 5 p.m. on the Friday 4 days before the election.)
- Saturday, November 3: Auditor’s office and Election Annex open for voting. (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
- Monday, November 5: Last day to vote early in-person at the Election Annex or Auditor’s Office, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Postmark deadline for mailed absentee ballots.
- Tuesday, November 6: Election Day. Polls open 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. Vote at regular polling places. (You cannot vote at the Courthouse. Election Annex is only open to voters in precinct 16) Change in state law: Voters will be asked for ID.
- Monday, November 12: Offices closed for observance of Veteran’s Day
- Tuesday, November 13: County Canvass by Board of Supervisors