November 6, 2018 General Election
For more information, you can visit the Secretary of State’s office at:
Important dates and deadlines
- July 9: First day to request mailed absentee ballots, 120 days before election. (Change in state law: previous law did not specify a first day.) Please note that absentee ballots cannot be mailed until Monday, October 8, 2018.
- July 30 – August 17: Federal and State candidate filing period. File with Iowa Secretary of State.
- August 6 – August 29: County candidate filing period. File with auditor’s office. Papers must be filed in the Auditor’s office by 5:00 p.m. on the 29th.
- Saturday, September 22: Military and overseas ballots must be mailed by this date, 45 days before election.
- Monday, October 8: First day for in-person early voting at auditor’s office and Election Annex. (Change in state law from previous 40 days before election.) First day to mail domestic absentee ballots, 29 days before election. (Change in state law: previous requirement was no later than 40 days before election.)
- Saturday, October 27: Voter pre-registration deadline, 5 p.m. Voters may still register after this date using election day registration procedure (ID and proof of address required).
- Saturday, October 27: Deadline to request mailed absentee ballot, same as pre-registration deadline. Requests must be in our office by 5 p.m. (Change in state law: previously was 5 p.m. on the Friday 4 days before the election.)
- Saturday, November 3: Auditor’s office and Election Annex open for voting. (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
- Monday, November 5: Last day to vote early in-person at the Election Annex or Auditor’s Office, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Postmark deadline for mailed absentee ballots.
- Tuesday, November 6: Election Day. Polls open 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. Vote at regular polling places. (You cannot vote at the Courthouse. Election Annex is only open to voters in precinct 16) Change in state law: Voters will be asked for ID.
- Monday, November 12: Offices closed for observance of Veteran’s Day
- Tuesday, November 13: County Canvass by Board of Supervisors