Election Officials Application
Fill out an online application here. If you have any questions, please contact the Elections Office at 563-589-4459.
WHAT DOES AN ELECTION OFFICIAL DO?
The duties in each Precinct are shared among three to eight officials depending on the expected number of voters at the polling place for a particular election. The responsibilities include:
- Set up the polling place before the polls open
- Set up of the voting equipment including iPads and tabulation machines
- Operate the Electronic Poll Book program for processing voters and verifying voter qualifications
- Register new voters and instruct voters how to cast their ballots
- Assist voters with disabilities to cast their ballots
- Complete paperwork, clean up and close the polling area.
- Registered to vote in Dubuque County
- Be affiliated with the Democrat or Republican Party although persons not affiliated with a political party may be appointed
- Not be a candidate or closely related to any candidate on the ballot
- Have energy, stamina, possess good reading and listening skills, and enjoy people
- Have computer experience and be willing to attend iPad training and school of instruction classes
Precinct Election Officials are currently paid $220.00 per day. Chairpersons are paid $290.00 per day. These rates are for full day elections. Mileage is paid for PEO’s to attend iPad training and school of instruction. Mileage is also paid to and from the polling place if working outside your precinct. Mileage reimbursement is paid at the federal rate.
A paid iPad course and paid School of Instruction course is provided before each election. iPad training courses are held 2 to 3 weeks before an election and School of Instruction is held the week before the following Tuesday election.
HOW AM I NOTIFIED ABOUT WORKING AN ELECTION?
You will receive notification by mail and email before each election. You may not be called for every election due to precincts having to be party balanced in certain elections and worker rotation.
WHEN ARE ELECTIONS HELD?
- Polls are open each election from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- School/Municipal Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in odd numbered years.
- Primary Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in June of even numbered years.
- General Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of even numbered years.
- Special Elections may be called at any time during the year and held on Tuesday.