- Boards & Commissions
- F - Z
- Historic Preservation Commission
Historic Preservation Commission
Dubuque County Historic Preservation Commission is doing a half hour presentation at 1pm on Sunday June 18, 2023 on Dubuque's African American History at Dubuque Museum of Art, followed by a walking tour of about an hour to look at some of the sites and former sites associated with Dubuque's African American History, and then a reception back at the Dubuque Museum of Art.
Juneteenth, also called "Freedom Day" or "Emancipation Day", is a celebration of the day in 1865 when the abolition of slavery was announced in Galveston, Texas. Although the Emancipation Proclamation was issued on January 1, 1863, Confederate states ignored it until they were forced to free their enslaved people by advancing Union troops as the Civil War progressed. It was not formally announced or enforced in the State of Texas until June 19, 1865 when Union soldiers arrived in Galveston, Texas, the last area of the country to receive word that slavery had been abolished.
The event is free and open to the public, but please RSVP here:
This event is sponsored by Dubuque County Historic Preservation Commission, Dubuque Branch NAACP and Dubuque Museum of Art.
Thanks for all your support and looking forward to seeing many of you at the Juneteenth African American History event for 2023.
About the Commission
View Historic Preservation Commission Members (PDF)
The Dubuque County Historic Preservation Commission:
- Conducts surveys to identify historic properties in the county
- Reviews National Register Nominations on any property nominated from within the borders of the county
- Provides a public forum for historic preservation discussions in the county (all meetings are open to the public)
- Undertakes section 106 reviews. These reviews are required for any public or private project occurring within Dubuque County that receives federal funds or is under the jurisdiction of a federal entity.
- Gives out annual Historic Preservation Awards in partnership with the Dubuque County Historical Society. View past award winners
- Writes the annual Certified Local Government (CLG) report for Dubuque County summarizing all of the above. This report goes to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) each year to renew Dubuque County’s CLG status.