Historic Preservation Commission
Thank you to all who attended Dubuque County Historic Preservation Commission's Presentation & African-American History Tour on Sunday 18 June 2023. The tour started at Washington Park, then walked past the Museum of Art to the “I am a Man” Mural and talked about the former African-American neighborhood on 8th Street and Robinson Street before going to 1243 Main, the Goodrich-Wilson-Ryan house, home of Judge David S. Wilson, who ruled to integrate the Dubuque Schools in 1877.
This links to a KCRG article and video about the presentation & tour:
This links to the story map that the City of Dubuque Historic Preservation Commission is putting together on Dubuque's Black Heritage: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/d70a04b134e844569c84df77a6d20882
This links to an article and radio news story about the "I am a Man" mural:
The Telegraph Herald also had two articles "Walking tour steps into history of Dubuque's earliest Black Residents" and "Throwback Thursday: 100-year-old Dubuque street faces demise in 1956" (about Robinson Street) which can be viewed at the Telegraph Herald's website if you are a subscriber to the paper.
About the Commission
The Dubuque County Historic Preservation Commission:
- Conducts surveys to identify historic properties in the county.
- Reviews National Register Nominations on any property nominated from within the borders of the county.
- Provides a public forum for historic preservation discussions in the county (all meetings are open to the public and we hold events about local history).
- Undertakes section 106 reviews. These reviews are required for any public or private project occurring within Dubuque County that receives federal funds or is under the jurisdiction of a federal entity.
- Gives out annual Historic Preservation Awards in partnership with the Dubuque County Historical Society. View past award winners
- Writes the annual Certified Local Government (CLG) report for Dubuque County summarizing all of the above. This report goes to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) each year to renew Dubuque County’s CLG status.