2022 Primary/General Election
JUNE 7, 2022
The Primary Election is held for the members of political parties to nominate candidates for the General Election. Currently, there are two political parties in Iowa: the Democratic Party and the Republican Party.
NOVEMBER 8, 2022
All NPPO and Non-Partisan (No Party or Independents) must file in March, even though their names will not appear until the November ballot.
- March 7, 2022—Candidate Filing Begins. First day for candidates—Democratic, Republican, NPPO candidates and candidates nominated for county offices to file nomination petitions in the Auditor’s Office. (see information above)
- March 25, 2022—Last day for candidates to file for the office. Open until 5:00 p.m.
- March 29, 2022—First Day to Submit Absentee Requests for the June 7th Primary only. Please note that ballots won’t be mailed until May, 18, 2022.
- March 30, 2022—Withdrawal Deadline. Last day for candidates who filed for the June Primary to withdrawal by filing a written request with the Auditor.
- April 1, 2022—County Objection Deadline. Last day to file written objections to nomination petitions filed with the County Auditor for the June Primary.
- May 18, 2022—Absentee Ballots Ready. First day absentee ballots may be voted in the Auditor’s office and mailed out.
- May 23, 2022—Worry-Free Postmark Date. Mailed voter registration forms which are postmarked on or before today are considered on time to be pre-registered for the primary election even if they are received after the pre-registration deadline.
- May 23, 2022—Voter Pre-Registration Deadline. The deadline to pre-register to vote for the Primary Election is 5:00 p.m.
- May 23, 2022—Absentee Ballot by Mail Request Deadline. Deadline is 5:00 p.m. Postmarks do not count.
- May 30, 2022—Memorial Day Holiday—County offices Closed.
- June 3, 2022—Absentee Affidavit review. Open to 5:00 p.m.
- June 4, 2022—Auditor’s office open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- June 6, 2022—Absentee Ballot In-Person Deadline. Last day to request and vote an absentee ballot in person at the Auditor’s Office. Last day to fix incomplete affidavits.
- June 7, 2022—PRIMARY ELECTION DAY. Polls open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Absentee Ballot Deadline 8:00 p.m.
- June 13, 2022—Canvass of Votes
- June 16, 2022—Recount Request Deadline. Auditor’s office open until 5:00 p.m.