Well & Septic Permits
If interested in a well or septic permit, please print all respective documents, complete, and sign. All checks can be made out to the Dubuque County Treasurer. Remit to:
Dubuque County Health Department
1225 Seippel Rd.
Dubuque, IA 52002
Both septic and well permits expire after one year.
Do NOT start installation until payment has been received.
- Residential Well Permit Fee- $250
- Residential Septic Permit Fee- $250
- Holding Tank Fee- $100
- Septic Reconstruction and/ or Modification- $100
- Septic or Well Abandonment- $75
- Well Permit Application Form (fillable) (PDF)
- Septic Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Contractor Rules and Regulations Handout (PDF)
Please note: a perc test is required for all new septic systems.
Perc tests can be done through:
- Buesing & Associates Surveyors
1212 Locust Street, Dubuque, Iowa 52001
- O.A. Technical Services
4744 202nd Street, Cascade, IA 52033
- Origin Design
4155 Pennsylvania Avenue, Dubuque, Iowa 52002
Contractor Rules and Regulations After Septic Installation
You are required to call the Dubuque County Health Department 563-557-7396 72 hours before the start of installation. Our environmental specialist will inspect onsite if schedule permits. The contractor is responsible for submitting digital pictures (septic tank, distribution box and runs of septic fields) and a detailed sketch (with dimensions from the structure) within ten days of completion of the system to the Dubuque County Health Department. The Health Department is located at 1225 Seippel Rd., Dubuque, Iowa 52002
Grants to Counties
Grants to Counties can reimburse Dubuque County residents for the following work related to wells in the county.
- Well closures/Plugging up to $500
- Cistern plugging up to $300
- Well Reconstruction up to $1,000
- Well shocking/chlorination only for flooded wells up to $300
Submittal of the required Iowa DNR forms and the paid invoice of the work completed is needed in order to receive reimbursement.