ATV, Boat & Snowmobile Registration

Effective July 1st 2023 a signed bill of sale will be required for all transfers of boats, off road vehicles and snowmobiles.

Boat Registration & Title

Boat fees are based on the length of theBoat Launch and marina boat. All boats over 17 feet in length (except canoes and kayaks) require a title. All boats with a lien must be titled.

When transferring a boat, a registration, bill of sale and the title, if indicated, are required.

All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and Snowmobile Registration and Title

Snowmobiling down a snowy pathNew and/or transferred recreational vehicles are registered in Dubuque County. ATV and snowmobile registrations expire on December 31st of each year.  ATVs registered since January 2000, and snowmobiles registered since January 1998, must have a title. When transferring an ATV or snowmobile, the title and bill of sale, if indicated, are required. When transferring an ATV or snowmobile previously registered in another state please call for information, as documentation may vary.


Application for Title or Registration (Boats, Snowmobiles, ATV’s, UTV’s and ORV’s)

The Title Application (PDF) and make checks payable to the Recorder.

Duplicate Application for Title

The Title Application (PDF) and a fee of $13.50 is required to obtain a duplicate title for ATV/ORV/ORM/snowmobile or boat.

Application for Security Interest

The Title Application (PDF) and a fee of $13.50 is required to perfect a lien on a title for ATV/ORV/ORM/snowmobile or boat.

Bill of Sale (PDF)
Affidavit for Unregistered or Untitled Vehicles (PDF)

Snowmobile SignRegulations

Snowmobile, ATV and Boat regulations may be found by visiting the Iowa Department of Natural Resources website.